Sunday, March 18, 2007

Super-Deformed Agenda

From the closet of forgotten work, comes this assault on artistic sensibilities....

In the 80's I took a liking to a certain type of cartoon style from Japan, called 'super-deformed' or 'chibi' characters. I started throwing them into my work, did lots of spot sketches and such, but SDs were not popular in the USA at that time, and I got razzed endlessly for these works.

I foisted the style on everyone, nonetheless!!! Thus fanzine editors were forced to accept my work in the SD style if I chose to use it. I flaunted it boldly with this convention program guide in 1987.
I lot of people kept slamming the style, and after a few years of it, I decided it was time for SDs to fight back! I wanted to get the message out: SDs are LEGIT!!!!!!

This is the first of the SD rants I drew up:
...yeah, it's weak, but it's THERE! Even though the tag line says "Sex and Violence" this sequence has neither! So I had to do another one, something that got the SDs out in the world to face the music.

No comments: